What am I supposed to think about??

Like many of you I have been avidly watching the latest season of The Biggest Loser.
In one episode Hamish was blubbering as usual but the thing that came out of his mouth this time had Shannon speechless and me too to be honest.
I can't remember the exact scenario but basically Hamish said that when he was having to push himself hard in training he didn't know what he was supposed to think.
Such a simple statement but set off an avalanche of thoughts in my own head and in Shannon's.
Shannon said "I have never thought of that".
I hadn't either to be honest because you don't really ever think about what you think about do you?? :)
I spent some time thinking about exactly what I do think about when I am grinding away at a tough training session and it is basically this.
The actual words probably change often but at the guts of it is me fighting against the pain.
Taking it head on and willing my body through the pain knowing that if I quit I'll kick my own butt all day long. Even I don't want to have to mess with me if I don't give 100%!!
It was so interesting to see this kid actually articulating what millions of people can't even process as a thought.
It gave me as a trainer a new perspective to know that we have to potential to influence this part of our clients training.
I guess I just assumed that everyone knows what they need to tell themselves to get through.
When I am teaching I tell my clients to grit your teeth and dig deep, to dig in, to get it done, that they are on the home stretch and to give it everything - it didn't occur to me that I say these things because this is what I say to myself every tough training session.
It didn't occur to me that every time I did that I was showing my clients what they needed to think to get be able to tough it out.
I would love to think that it is these words that run through their heads when they are working out on their own.
Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how long you have been in the business there is always something to learn from the most unexpected places!
What runs through your mind when you are doing it tough?
I'd love to hear.
M x

Comments