Getting back on the horse (metaphorically speaking!)

Usually I can sit back at the end of a training week and know I have ticked all of the boxes.
This in large part is due to being organised and being able to juggle things at a moments notice if I need to change plans - my Plan B is second nature.

BUT last week I had the worst training week I have had in a long, long time!
My motivation just wasn't there and in the end I don't think I even hit 50% of my scheduled training - very rare indeed.

Each day I would give myself a kick up the bum to get moving but I just couldn't be bothered!

What it told me was that I needed not only a physical holiday but a mental one as well.

I reasoned with myself that I have not even had a day of this for close to 12 months, that it was not the end of the world and I let the week go.

This is not as easy as it sounds!

I'm following a training plan for melbourne marathon and when I have a plan I like to follow it to a T - I only like to see ticks next to my boxes not crosses - for me this is like a blight on my personality (I know I need to loosen up!) .

Of course it is ok for other people to miss training sessions from time to time but not me, I am far harder on myself than I am on any of my clients that is for sure :)

Anyway I let the logical side of my brain kick in and today, a week later I feel much better for the down week.

This morning I managed to knock out a run, RPM Class and Chest / Shoulder / Ab workout so I am definitely feeling well and truly rested and back in control.

Weird things happen though when I am not training; my energy levels plummet and I am cranky as hell. I walk around feeling lost and out of sorts and my family mostly avoid me!

Falling out of routine with your training is harder to do the longer you have been training but if you are new to it and you let the down time drag on it is very, very difficult to get back on the horse.

It is really important to have some rules around your downtime.

Usually for me it is no more than 2 days in a row without training - last week it went 3 days so I knew I had to start planning and thinking about how to bring it back together.

If you have a trigger that lets you know you are in danger of a downward spiral then it is much easier to pull yourself back into line.

I have been training for most of my life so I knew I was in no danger of letting this go on for more than the week but the emotional ups and downs a week of being out of routine can be awful.

So I guess the take aways are:

1: It can happen to anyone.

2: Set your guidelines about what is acceptable downtime.

3: Know when you are in danger of crossing the line and swing into action. If this means letting the week go and planning for the next then so be it so long as this is not a regular occurrence.

4: Plan your comeback so you are starting the week or the next day with something you really enjoy so you are eagerly anticipating getting back into things.

Don't let your downtime drag on for too long but if you need a break then take a day or two off to re-boot and re-energise and then get back into it.

Comments