Time to take stock..

This blog is a little different from most but I am sure (well hoping at least!) someone somewhere will benefit!

On Friday my 15 year old son lost his friend in a car accident.
Unfortunately for Cody this is not the first time he has lost a friend through a terrible accident.
3 years ago when he was halfway through year 7 he also lost a friend in a freak accident.
This is just too much for a kid his age to have to deal with and as a mother it is heart breaking to see your child going through so much pain knowing there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

My son is amazing and by having been through tragedy before was able to be a rock to his friends who had not (thank god) experienced this sort of loss before.

Cody was able to put his own feelings of grief aside to help his mates get through the darkest hours, unfortunately when he got home after 2 days of supporting his friends he was completely drained.
I asked him if he had had a cry yet and he hadn't - the tears started and the pain was horrendous to witness.

This weekend was a good reminder for me that my training and my businesses are not everything!

This weekend I modified my plans so I could be there for Code if he needed me there and to also spend time with Chloe who was effected by her brothers pain.

My life and my family pretty much revolves around me and my commitments and at times I do feel guilty about the fact that my needs and my routine seem to dominate.

It was a very good feeling to drop any plans I had to make way for my kids needs.

Don't get my wrong my kids always come first but because they are so awesome and very self-sufficient it is very easy to just go about my plans without any complaining from them - this is just the way things are and when they need me to be there I am there without hesitation.

This time for some reason it felt much more significant and made me really take stock of my priorities and the way I structure my life.

I am wondering if I have it arse about.

I generally plan my work & training and then look at what the kids need and then go back and re-work things if I need to.

I guess I am feeling that perhaps this is at odds with my priorities - I say my kids are my priority but when I'm planning I come first.

I think that it is time for change.

On the surface things won't look any different I'm sure but to feel as though I am living in line with my values I need to make this conscious mental shift.

Isn't that the wonderful thing about life and having ability to chose where we lay our focus?

Just when you think you have it all together a spanner gets thrown in the works and you need to re-think.

I really think it is important to take these life lessons on board to continue to grow and develop and become more in harmony with your values.

I know from experience that Cody will need my attention even more than usual for the months ahead and I need to step up and ensure he has all of me when he needs me so that means coming out of my office and seeking him out even when he seems to be ok.

Some of life's lessons suck and this is one of them but I'm trying to find a way to make it count.

A timely reminder for me that while training is important and creating a successful business is important my family are even more so and that if you feel your values and the way you are living your life are at odds they usually are and it is then important to be courageous and be open to change if it needs to take place.

Comments