What is wrong with gyms today: Harking back to the good old days.

I have owned gyms and have always prided myself on creating challenging and fun workouts for my clients - pretty much what I do now but this was part of a gym membership.

I can remember every Friday afternoon sitting down with a bunch of workout cards and being excited about the pain (and fun of course) I was about to inflict on my client with her (or his) next workout :)

I loved the moans and groans that came after a new program was started and the fun and banter that would go back and forth about the workout - whether or not I was intentionally trying to kill them or main them for life with the new workout (again pretty much what I do now!).

I was always inspired to give the client something new and fresh and something that would make them feel awesome when they left the gym - even if they didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE the process while at the gym!

The gyms I have been involved in have all been smaller country gyms but there were still loads of clients through the door every week.

Not everyone wanted programs as a lot knew what they were doing already or were just happy to plod along.

There was ALWAYS someone on the floor so if someone was about to do themselves an injury by using poor technique it was nipped in the but very quickly and proper form was taught.

This was all part of the service and I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way - as a trainer I find it impossible to look the other way while poor form is being executed.

Which is why it pains me no end to see what goes on (or more correctly DOES NOT GO ON) in gyms these days.

I recently joined a larger chain gym (who shall remain nameless in the interests of them suing my ass) and it was a bit of a reality check.

Although this said I had the same experience at a new smaller local gym (who shall also remain nameless due to you know what) but just figured that as they knew I was a trainer they didn't offer to show me any equipment or offer a program. I later found out this is the norm at this gym as well.

I had also had the same experience when I was at my other larder gym but I obviously didn't pay any attention to this at the time.

So why now do I have a bug up my butt??

At the Lorna Jane 100th Store launch I spoke to one of LJ's gorgeous staff and we got chatting about online training.

She naturally asked "How the hell do you do online training" (she may not have said hell).

I asked her if she had a gym membership and she said yes with a big chain gym.

I asked her if they gave her a program to follow.

She looked at me as though I was a crazy person.

I asked her if she had been shown how to use any of the equipment at her gym .

Again that look.

It soon became obvious why an online trainer made sense.

I then got a bug up my butt and started ranting about how gyms are happy that no-one knows how to use their equipment or what to do when they are there because they actually, for the most part DON'T WANT YOU THERE!! There I've said it.

If everyone who a gym membership ACTUALLY WENT TO THE GYM you wouldn't fit in there, there would be no room to move.

They are happy for you to pay for the privilege of having a space to work out in if the fancy strikes you but they don't really care and in fact they prefer you didn't.

I cannot stand the trend that now exists where when you join up they try to suck you into personal training sessions or include them as a way to get you to sign you life away and if you don't know what you are doing at the gym you are really committed to working with a trainer. Now it seems you need a trainer to have a gym membership (if you don't know what you are doing).

The trainers of course are all tied in with the gyms and need the income so they are not all that excited about education and creating a level of knowledge for you where you can become self-sufficient and do your own thing.

It is a bad system.

What would I do differently?

I would absolutely have staff on the floor at all times so if you want to ask a question about technique or to be shown how to do a new exercise or to ask for advice it is there.

I would employ a full-time program consultant to ensure everyone (who wants one) has a program to follow that is in line with their goals.

THEN if that person requires someone to push them they hire a trainer.

Having a personal trainer to go with your gym membership should be one option not a "have to".

Call me crazy but having a gym membership and not knowing what to do with it is a complete waste of time and why so many women do not use their gym memberships.

Or they come to me :)

This is my my business continues to grow.  Because gyms are doing a great job of not taking care of their clients and they need someone to do that for them.

I'd like to think this will change, there is one large gym who I will name because it was superb and that is  Virgin Gym.  They are definitely streets ahead with customer service and innovative ways to lead beginners through programs till they have more confidence and then can go into the grown ups gym.

24 hour gyms are the new trend and you can go in whenever you like and do your own thing - they don't promise to hold your hand or keep you motivated so save your bucks and buy the bare basics which is what you get at the larger chain gyms anyway!

If you have a gym membership but are not using it I urge you to START USING IT TODAY.

If you can't afford one of my personalised programs then sign up for my Glow Lifestyle VIP Club Membership where you access workouts, get meal plans, be motivated and more.

It is much cheaper than a personal trainer and you will have the tools you need to feel confident workout out in the gym you are paying good money for.

I should organise a Go To Your Gym Day for fun just to see everyone who has a gym membership turn up to workout!

It would be great to be a fly on the wall on that day :)

I'd love you to share you comments and experiences on this topic so fire away.

Comments

JenniH said…
I couldn't agree more with you Michelle! The gyms have it VERY wrong and they rely on 'absent' clients who continually have their direct debits come out periodically and couldn't be bothered to cancel it becuase they might get to the gym at some stage!! One of the things I love about CrossFit is its simplicity..there are no big machines and large classes where it's easy to get lost in th crowd or struggle to find your groove. But, the BIG difference is EVERY trainer is passionate about what they're doing and about their clients. They want to be there and they want you to be there! They know you, your challenges and your goals. Poor forms does not go unnoticed, the atmosphere is incredible the sense of community is incredible. I have no doubt in the years that I went to gyms I would have had poor form almost every day and was doing things where I could have easily have got hurt. But in that time not once was I corrected, never encouraged to come again and even felt I was just a number as I quoted my membership number on arrival. I agree we will see a shift and the gyms will get left behind.
Michelle said…
Completely agree Jenni.
I have been training in taekwondo for 20 years and this is very similar. People care if you miss a session and you are always working towards something.
This is also why I have a business in online training - I actually care if my clients go to their gyms or not even if the gyms don't!
JenniH said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
JenniH said…
'Tis why you do such a wonderful job Michelle!! :)
Metamorphosis said…
Hi Michelle,
I absolutely agree with you, I've been a member of so many gyms during my life. I just wanted to give a shout out to Fernwood, I worked in one of their gyms a few years back and we still offered a gym instructor on the floor every day and also programs for people which we encouraged them to have refreshed every 6 weeks. In addition I used to run reports of people who hadn't attended in 4 weeks and send them letters or call them to check that everything was going ok...
However, I really have the same bug as you do about the appalling service of most large gyms nowdays. They are more than happy to charge you upwards of $20/week for the pleasure of being part of their gym and not coming. It is truely atrocious!
Michelle said…
The Fernwood I went to about 5 years ago never had anyone on the floor but I guess each individual gym will have its way of doing things - good to hear that your gym was!