Vo2Max Testing



As most of you would know by now I am training for my first Half Ironman later this year.
Previously I have been plagued by injury but I am happy to say I have had close to 10 weeks of solid base training with no time off due to injury, which is far better than I could have hoped.
The reason for taking on the Half Ironman was to make myself train smarter and more conservatively to ensure I made constant progress without any flare-ups. It is fantastic to see that my instinct was right and my body is responding.
To see how I was travelling I decided to have my Vo2 Max testing done (a measure of cardiovascular fitness).
I hadn’t done this before and from what I had heard I knew it would be grueling. This is the test done on a treadmill (or bike) with a facemask and tube attached to another machine.
For my age group the highest Category is Supreme and to reach this category you need a score of 36.9 or above (for my age) and I am rapt to say I scored 48.2. Again confirmation I am doing all the right things.
I will test again in 10 weeks after my training really steps up and I will be very interested to see how this improves.
Lance Armstrong’s Vo2Max is around 85, which is massive and shows just how me managed to be at the top of his game for so long.
This weekend I am doing my Level 1 Triathlon Coach training course and am looking forward to spending the weekend learning a lot more about my new sport.
Lucky for me this week is recovery week so I should head into the course nice and fresh and ready to work hard.
That’s about it for now.
I hope you have enjoyed this newsletter and I will be in touch again in September with the next edition.
Michelle x

Comments