First Triathlon

Had a great day at Triathlon Pink yesterday; really cool event. I don't have my official time yet as I didn't use a watch because I didn't think I could wear my HR Monitor in the water and didn't want to leave it in the transition area (turns out it is made for swimming too !!).Chloe (little one) had a really good time and my friend Kim is so excited to have finished what she saw as a big challenge for her.
Chloe added about an extra 50m to her 100m swim because instead of swiming in a V she swam in a square!! She was last out of the water from the swim leg but went into the run in 4th place so she made up 6 spots in the bike and transition and she was grinning the whole way. Our race was delayed so I got to see her start and finish which was really cool.
2 nights of next to no sleep and coughing up a lung in the stands waiting to start and not haveing been able to train for over a week due to illness were not the best preparation in the world but I pushed myself as hard as I could go on the day and I am happy with what I came up with in the end.
The swim was funny - all the other waves were getting a 10 sec count then a "go" the lady ran over and said "no time for the count sorry - GO!!" So we were off and racing before I knew it. I coped a kick in the head in the first 2 or 3 strokes (good to get it out of the way early) and swallowed water I couldn't get rid of and it took me about 75m to get into the swing of things but overall it was an ok swim.The one thing I didn't count on was getting around the bouys - I was in second place and about to overtake the girl in first position when I got to the bouy and realised I didn't know how to swim AROUND anything so I lost a bunch of time and there were 3 bouys but I got out of the water in 3rd spot out of 10 (go me!!). Very dissapointing I was the fastest swimmer but just couldn't get around the bouys efficiently.
My transition was - let's just say "relaxed". I ran all the way to the bike (250m) when lots of others were walking and I got dressed etc as quick as I could without rushing and stuffing it up.I felt good on the bike; I overtook a bunch of people but the course was letting new waves on all the time so I wasn't sure if I was passing my people or the wave before or after me. I also got stuck behind sometimes without being able to pass because there was really only room for 2 abreast and sometimes the people overtaking were slow and I had to wait. As the loop was only 1.5km and a circle there were lots of corners so this slowed the pace a bit - it will be interesting to see what time I came out with. Only one person overtook me on the bike leg.
T2 was easy - I rode in my runners so just helmet off and hat on and running.
The run felt really slow and I was really strugging for breath the whole way - it didn't get any easier the whole way much to my dissapointment - not helped by the fact I grabbed a drink and nearly choked to death on it - I didn't even need to bloody thing to start with!!
My chest is still pretty congested and I imagine that whilst it still would have been hard it was much harder than it would have been if I had been 100% well. I really struggle with my breathing which is highly unusual for me but I just focused on my breath and kept going and everytime I passed someone it spurred me on. I ran up the finish shoot and the last 100m before that on my own and I could only see one person from my wave in front of me (maybe 2) on the run and bike but that isn't saying much I was head down bum up for the whole thing.
I don't think anyone passed me on the run.My goal time was around 31 minutes (taking the transition into account) Swim 3.30 / Bike 15 / Run 10 min plus transition were the goals - I might have just made it I think - I can't tell if my run really was slow if it just felt slow - and I have no idea how long the other legs were either. The curiousity is killing me!!Rested up today more because of the lack of sleep than the workload from yesterday and tomorrow I get started on my marathon prep.

Comments