Supplementation - where I'm at with that.

Today was a rest day as I ran my event  all day in St Kilda.

At a push I could have planned to train super early or even when I finished up but knowing how big those days are I chose to not set myself up to fail.

I woke up super sore again today from my eyelids to my toes but by the end of the day I''m starting to feel good, definitely ready to hit the gym again first thing.

While I have no training to share I thought this was as good a time as any to share the supps I'm on and why.

BNRG Proto Whey (always chocolate) is a staple and has been for a while.

For as long as I can remember I've chugged down a protein shake in water post workout.

I find it hard to get food in after a decent workout even though I know I need to get the protein and carbs in fast to help recovery so protein in water works well for me, usually with a banana or an apple (simple carbs help with protein absorption).

The reason I love the protein in particular is purely the taste, I can't handle the over-sweet or fake flavoured powders.

I've thrown away MANY tubs of powder finding this bad boy!

L-Glutamine

Here is an excellent summary of why I love this stuff.

I don't notice the benefits so much when I'm using it but I ran out about 4 weeks ago and thought I'd go without and ever since I've felt like I'm getting a cold, I'd forgotten that this is how I feel when I don't take it. The immune support benefits are massive for me.

Creatine Monohydrate

A better explanation of this amino than I can provide can be found here.

I'm not using this at the moment but I will be as soon as my order get's here!!!

I first began taking creatine a couple of decades ago when I wanted to put on some muscle and the results were ridiculous, I put on 3kg of muscle in just a few months and the only thing I'd changed was the introduction of this, no change to food or training.

My recovery is also much better on creatine.

This isn't something I take all the time, just every couple of years for a few months, when I am on a mission and want to see some muscle go on, another benefit is that my sprint work is improved as well.

For many years I stuck with these 3 staples.

Later on I introduced BCAA's and would like to be taking them now but I can't handle the tablets (they're huge and I always forget to take them) and the powder (in water) isn't good for your teeth so I've ditched it.

I also tried some pre-workouts but hate the way they make me feel so coffee is my pre-workout and has been for years now.



ATP Stack

These products changed my life.

I began with the Alpha Venus to help level out my crazy hormones as the onset of peri-menopause knocked me for 6 and within a very short amount of time (I'm talking a week) I began to feel like myself again rather than the hormone crazed, emotional, bloated, achy mess.

I really love the guts out of these products, it seems ATP are continually improving the formula and it can be tricky to workout out which one you need but if you're interested my buddy Sommer stocks these and I'm sure she would be more than happy to point you in the right direction (her website is still being developed so ignore any bits that look weird and head back in a week or so, the shop is fully functional though).

I could easily become addicted to ATP products and get into the habit of "buy one of everything" but I'm trying to rein it in!

If hormones plague you then get on it, hormones have been the thorn in my side forever but on these I feel a million bucks.


So there you have it.....

I like to keep things simple,avoid stimulants (coffee aside) and use the bare minimum, at 47 I feel these definitely make life easier, I recover better, feel stronger and know these are all low risk and now with the addition of the ATP stuff I have my hormones handled.

****PLEASE NOTE: These are NOT recommendations for you specifically but me sharing what works for me, do your due diligence and make sure they're right for you before you make the decision to supplement with them.*****

That's it, I'm over and out, I'm looking forward to hitting the gym first thing and plan on another day of Get Commando Fit, Walking and either a boxing class or bag work and spin bike tomorrow.

I'm feeling super relieved I'm excited about training again, happy days!







Comments