I can be kicking by July!!!

I've been naughty and not updating but here are the last couple of posts I put up on social media updating everyone.

TUES MAY 5th
I haven't really had time to sit down and give you a full report on my hip yet so here it is and it's good news :-)
From the first visit with my surgeon he told me that I wouldn't be able to kick again.
He had said that with my hip the way it was I was just going to end up in surgery every 6 months and that even with a replacement he would not want me kicking because the replacement he had in mind wouldn't take the impact.
I was devastated.
To think that I'd never be able to kick or spar again was gut wrenching.
After the surgery he told me the same thing.
In the post-op meeting he told me the same thing PLUS no squatting, no plyometrics...pretty much all of the stuff I like to do.
Again.... utter devastation and ,me trying to get my head around a life without these things in it.
Things like my regular trips to Thailand without kicking, teaching my classes without kicking.
I'll be honest my time on the mat over the last months at PUSH, knowing that I wouldn't ever be able to kick again, was tough, every session made me sad, every session I was close to tears.
Fast forward to last Thursday when I met with my physio (the one who works very closely with my surgeon).
He took one look at the scans from the surgery and shook his head, he looked at me and said "Oh my god Michelle, you must have been in so much pain, I can't even imagine what your life was like in this much pain, I have AFL players in tears with less damage than this".
Really drove home how bad it was.
The hip joint was filled with blood because I'd ruptured my lig teres , it had ruptured because I had torn a stitch from my last surgery and this was causing problems.
Every day the ball joint rubbed against this loose stitch and cartilage and formed scar tissue (he said I scared like a man whatever the hell that means!!) that in the end joined the head of my femur (the ball) and the cartilage (the socket) so there was zero movement - it was stuck solid!
This meant that whenever I kicked my hip was dislocating and levering the lig teres which is why I tore it (and continued to damage it every time I did).
Those images were quite confronting.
The surgeon removed the damaged cartilage and stitch, sucked all of the blood out of the joint, removed a heap of scar tissue and injected the site with steroids.
Despite all of the issues the actual damage (wear pattern) within the joint is not too bad, good enough that my physio said he could get me back to doing everything!!! EV-ER-Y-THING!!
That means kicking!!!
I'm going to need to modify, I think face kicks are out and I had been avoiding these because they hurt and now I know why, this is when it was dislocating at its worst.
I have 6 months of rehab ahead of me and no kicking before the 6 month mark (for now, will see how my progress goes) but knowing that I can is enough for me.
I'll be working very hard to get this body super strong, no shortcuts on my rehab this time.
If I do everything right I'll be kicking by the end of the year and I'm sooo excited about that!!!
It's been quite the wild ride with this hip over the past few months but it feels awesome to have some light at the end of the tunnel.
Amir, my physio, said that the surgeon had to tell me this stuff because he didn't trust me, he said it was up to us (Amir & I) to show the surgeon that I've done the rehab and modified my kicking so that I can do it safely.
It really did my head in to be told something so devastating and absolute and then be told something else but I'll just take the fact I can kick again and run with that for now smile emoticon
Right now I'm soo ansty, I just want to throw myself into some sort (ANY sort of training) and get myself back into shape.
I'm still inflamed, I can't seem to get the inflammation under control, I know it's because I'm doing too much, in and out of the car too much, sitting too much.
It's so bloody hard to NOT do that stuff!!
So for now no walking, nothing in the gym other than upper body and about 4 minutes of physio every day.
I'm trying to be patient and trying to stay still, for me that's the most challenging part but if I don't I'm delaying my recovery - the longer the inflammation is there the longer it will be before I can get stuck into more challenging rehab.
It's frustrating but I know I'll get there in the end.

FRIDAY MAY 8th

My appointment with my physio could NOT have gone any better!!!
I walked in and sat down and he had this big stupid grin on his face, I looked at him and said "what"????
He shook his head and said I should be able to do that until week 10!!!
He felt all around the joint and kept shaking his head saying I was at least 4 weeks ahead of where I should be.
I am sooooo freaking relieved!
I really thought I'd set myself back but nope, 4 WEEEKS ahead!!
He said he's now not looking at me as a 47 year old woman who has had multiple births but like a 17 year old tennis player (he is a weird and funny little man, not quite sure what he means half the time).
Basically my recovery is insane.
I do heal fast, I always have but honestly I think I can put a lot of this down to how strict Dave was on me in the early days so I need to thank him for that!
Amir said "you could NOT be any better than you are right now" he also said "but you can make it worse so you still have to be careful".
I'm allowed to walk and I can even walk on an incline.
I can do very light leg ext and leg curl on my own, he doesn't want me doing it with a trainer because they'll over do it...so I'm pretty happy!
Walking on a steep incline and adding those plus my upper body program I'll really feel like I can get back to some decent training now.
I asked him when I could safely head back to Thailand feeling 100% confident in my body and he said Sept no problems!!!!
THAT is not far away..Anne we need to look at some dates!!!
He said I can be kicking by July (end of July if I have a setback, early to mid if I'm a good girl).
No running or squatting, leg press, lunges etc for another month or more.
He said I can be doing all of those things sooner because I'm doing well BUT his explanation was that each of those things will continue to stretch my lig teres.
He said if there is no stress on my lig teres it will scar up, tighten up and when I do go to stretch it (like in a kick or a squat) it will have tightened and scarred up so it's tough and can handle it. It it is stretched and weak I'm at risk of doing it again so I'm happy to modify my training for as long as it takes knowing that in a few short months I can be kicking and running again.
God what a rollercoaster this has been!!!!!
Last night I received my meal / training plan for the next 2 weeks and it looks good. Only 3 weight training days so that will challenge me! Now I'm back in the gym I'll want to be there every day!!!
The nutrition is hardcore.
Zero carbs (just some green, leafy) for 2 weeks and steak for breaky for 2 weeks!!
It's only for 2 weeks so I can do that, I'm really in a good headspace to make some sacrifices and get a good result.
I have my mastermind program with my ladies today and we're having a stylist, a make-up artist and photographer there so we can get the women's website photo's done, I'm really excited for them, it will be an awesome day!
I'm also heading down to see my mum on the weekend and catching up with some of the TKD ladies in the morning so it will be my last social hoorah for a little bit then Monday I'll get stuck in.
Very much looking forward to being active and leaning out again!

Comments