The blog post I NEVER thought I'd write....

I'm going to be a Fitness Model Competitor!!!!

I've had an itch I've half-heartedly wanted to scratch for a few years but the compromises I needed to make made it all but impossible for me to say "yes" to this thing.

God, I can hardly even say it out loud without groaning but here it is...I'm going to compete in the INBA (International Natural Bodybuilding Association) Fitness Model Division (over 40) in September.

There were 3 main reasons I have always shied away from doing this are:

One
Bodybuilding (all divisions) is all about how you LOOK.
My training has always been about performance and feeling fit, fast, strong, agile & explosive, my style of training has always delivered a good physique but that was a by-product NOT the be all and end all focus.
The idea of training in a way that compromises this was just a sacrifice I wasn't willing to make.

My Workout Gear Of Choice
Two
This one is hard to put into words but I guess it is best summed up this way...

I live in a dobok, you can see here this is a VERY loooooong way from hooker heels and a sparkly swimsuit.

Like most women I like to look and feel sexy but I'm quite modest and when it comes to showing skin I'm a firm believer in "less is more", you will never see me with my "girls" hanging out or my ass hanging below my skirt, just never gonna happen.

This is a nod to honouring my Martial Arts Principles but also a big part what makes me me. Standing on stage in high heels, with a face full of make-up, orange skin and wearing very little is something I could happily die not having done.

Three
Well it's probably really 3 AND 4..AND 5!
The posing, just NO, just NO!!
The extremely low bodyfat levels....way too extreme, not good for your health and the resultant looking like a skun (word??) rabbit all put me off.

So what changed??

Here's the thing....

This bloody goal WILL NOT go away!!!
And you know what that means...it means I have to damn well do it or it will haunt me forever.

Here's how I made the decision.
The first thing was I could see things had changed and there was now a division called Fitness Model.
Way back when, when I first started looking Figure was the only option for me and to be honest I don't want that much muscle on my body, its not a look I want for me, some ladies look AMAZING but not something I would chose for me.

I went along and watched a Fitness Model competition and thought it could be a winner and then I saw that the girls had to do some dumbass routine and the men didn't - in the same division!!!
Unless I'm grading for another level on my Black Belt you won't see me putting together any sort of routine to "show and tell".

Now it seems that's been axed (praise the Lawd) and the requirements are MUCH more acceptable to my sensibilities :-)

Fitness Models have to walk like a model, no posing (yay!!). This is going to be the hardest part for me I can just see it now!

I decided that this goal is going NOWHERE so I may as well do it.

I'm not in it to win it and I'd be happy to do the training and be ready and NOT go on stage but if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it full out.

I'm seeing it as an experiment, I want to see what happens when you train for looks rather than performance.

I'm giving this 4 months of focus then I can tick the box.

I do have some compromises to make:

I still have to be orange, wear a face full of make-up, wear hooker hells and show my butt on stage.

I will still be training to LOOK a certain way and my performance will have left the building :-((((

BUT I've weighed it up and now I've made the decision I'm in 100%

I'm meeting with my new trainer Monday morning at 9.30 and away she goes.

I'm going to post my progress as I go from FIT to Fitness Model, the irony is that the day I walk on stage I'll probably look the fittest I've ever looked in my life and I will be THE LEAST FIT I've ever been in my life!!

Of course I've roped Wendy in :-) and we will be training and prepping together so I'm sure there are going to be plenty of laughs along the way!!

Anyway if you're keen follow along on my journey to become a fitness model!!


Comments