Didn't see that week coming!!...

Hmm... to say this week didn't go to plan would be an understatement to say the least.
D day finally arrived on Tuesday and I suffered more than usual this month so I took a couple of rest days and and used to time to get a tonne of work done and felt ok about that even though it meant 3 days off in a row (shock / horror).
Last night I was ready to hook in and train the house down; my legs felt fresh and I can't remember the last time I trained without DOMS, it was super hot and I love training in the heat.
It was a small class because of the heat so I was excited about working my little group nice and hard.
Warm-up went ok, my calves were tight but we did 10 minutes of footwork drills and that gets the calves screaming anyway.
We stretched and then hit the bags; 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off.
At about round 7 I went to take off for a kick and bang!
Tore my left calf...I felt it go and knew it wasn't good straight away.
I couldn't put any weight on it at all and it was throbbing a fair bit.
The pain didn't bother me but the loss of strength worried me but front and centre was anger and frustration.
I just could not believe it had happened just as I was getting into my training again.
I iced it right away and instructed the class sitting on the floor with an ice-pack for the rest of the night.
Chris was watching class so I had him strap my calf and I kept ice on it then when I got home I put my thermowrap on and kept it on overnight. I think this helped a lot.
Woke up this morning and still couldn't put any weight on it so I called and booked in for some myotherapy and some dry needling in the hope I could speed up recovery.
The last time I tore my calf it was a grade 3 tear and it took about 3 weeks to be able to kick again and it felt the same. Last time I needed crutches for 2 weeks!!
Thankfully Nick said he thought it was only a grade 1 tear so I was pretty happy to hear that and immediately I thought "ok this could be less than a week recovery".
He spent about half an hour massaging then put about 10 needles in.
That was at 10am and now I'm walking on it!!
I recover super fast and I reckon 2-3 days from now I'll be good as new!!
Such a relief.
Would be nice to have a do-over for this week but it is what it is; nothing I can do about it so I'll just work around it for now and keep my fingers crossed I'm good to go for Monday.



Comments