Post Surgery

I know I said I would video blog my recovery but to be honest it has just been plain boring so I didn't bother!!
Tomorrow (Friday) is 5 weeks to the day that I had my surgery and things are going great guns, still a way to go before I can kick but I'm now able to sweat again and start to push myself so I'm feeling a little more like my old self.
Scratch that a better version of my old self because from the moment I woke up from my surgery I have had no pain, every day I wake up and wait for the old pain to kick in and it just isn't there - it's AMAZING!!
Here is a bit of a quick recap of my surgery and recovery so far.
The day of surgery you couldn't get the grin off my face.
My good friend Tania dropped me at The Avenue at 10.30am and off I went to my room.
I had no nerves at all and I just couldn't wait to get the show on the road.
Around 4pm they wheeled me to the operating area and prepped me for surgery. As I was being wheeled down the hallway I was literally grinning, the dude pushing the trolley looked at me like I was weird and I said to him "I know it is probably a little bit wrong to be so excited about surgery but I cannot wait!!". He said "Yes it is unusual, people are usually freaking out".
Not me! I had waited so long to have this done I was just so happy to finally be doing just that.
Close to 3hrs later I woke up in a world of pain; this was unexpected for me. I have a high pain threshold and expected to feel some pain but not the level of pain I was in. It was manageable but more than I expected. 3 doses of morhpine and 30 minutes later I was pain free and haven't had a single bit of pain since.
I got back to my room in time for the AFL semi final and dozed off and on hoping like heck that the score I was seeing was actually a dream. Unfortunately NO and my beloved Pies were out - devastating!!!
The next day Tania came to pick me up and I was a space cadet because of the drugs they had me on. I can remember trying to have an intelligent conversation with the surgeon (The fabulous David Young from Melbourne Orthopaedic Group)  using big words and nothing was coming out right. Tania was rolling on the ground laughing so it must have been pretty amusing.
I do remember him telling me the surgery was a success and that my hip had been a huge mess. He used the words "diseased hip" and that freaked Tania out.
I slept a lot over the weekend and used my crutches like a good girl but really hate those things!!
Monday morning my chauffeur (Tania) came and picked me up in the morning and we headed to the gym.
I couldn't do a whole lot but could be on the spin bike for 10 minutes (I know, just awesome!) and do upper body weights.
The rest of the first week went pretty much like that. Spin bike, weights then sleep!
The drugs took about 2 weeks to leave my body so while I was able to be active I hit the wall by mid afternoon and slept.
I had the first week off teaching classes and PT so I could really let myself sleep and recover after my training sessions which was a godsend.
I ditched my crutches somewhere around the Wednesday.
The second week I had some PT sessions so again spin bike and upper body weights and training some clients. I was driving by this stage and could get around fairly well.
The 3rd week I was starting to get a bit stir crazy as I was restricted to 10 minutes on the spin bike (what the???) and upper body and all I wanted to do was sweat!!
So my physio let me up the bike to 20 minutes - and walk for 30 minutes - woo hoo.
I also started to so some leg ext and leg curl - not heaps of legs but a start, lower body is feeling very squishy!!
I also swam but pulled up a bit sore.
The thing that drove me crazy up until the last couple of days was my hipflexor. It was sooo sore!! Andrew (physio) said it was loading to deal with the surgery plus some of the muscles at the front were cut during surgery so this was causing the pain.
This week I got to sweat for the first time.
I got on the spin bike and just decided to go for it and hit some hill repeats. Was the best feeling EVER!!
So far this week (4th week) looked like this.
MONDAY: 40minutes of hill repeats on spin bike - 30 minute hill walk (bigass hills) and Chest workout.
TUESDAY: 30 minutes spin - 40 minute shoulder workout
WEDNESDAY: 40minutes of hill repeats on spin bike - 30 minute hill walk (bigass hills) and legs.
THURSDAY: 40minutes of hill repeats on spin bike - 30 minute hill walk (bigass hills) and Back workout.
Plus I've been doing some form of physio everyday.

Tried some kicking early in the week but not convinced it is a good idea yet, just doesn't feel strong enough so I'll hold off another 2 weeks. Now I can hit it harder on the bike I'm happy to hold off.
I was told it would be 12 Weeks till I could train with any intensity so I am rapt it has only taken me 4 (I told myself 6). Still a way to go before I can really smash it with plyo's, running and kicking but not too far away.

Right now the biggest struggle is trying to overcome the old neural pathways and muscle recruiting patterns. Today when I was walking I noticed how straight my right foot hit the ground. It used to rotate outwards and I had to work hard to keep it straight, now it just happens. This may seem like a small thing but it is HUGE, cannot wait to see how much my running improves now I don't have to work so hard just to stay neutral.

It is weird seeing my foot placement being correct but my body still feels as though it needs to correct it.
The next few weeks I will be working hard on creating new neural pathways and muscle recruitment patterns that are those of a regular, healthy hip instead of one used to compensating. It is very exciting though to know that there has been such and improvement in that one area.

So basically 4 weeks on it is life as usual, far better than I could have hoped for.
In my head I planned on a 6 week recovery despite being told 12 and to be as active as I am 4 weeks out I really couldn't have hoped for better.
I knew from past history that I recover fast and I had hoped it to be the way it has panned out but I have to say the unknown had me slightly anxious.

I was a bit worried my weight would go up a couple of kg's but my weight has remained the same although I do feel squishy not being able to get decent cardio done or train lower body with any intensity or do my plyo's but you can't have everything can you!!??









Comments