No action plan..

Well as I suspected my blogging has taken a bit of a back seat the past 2 weeks - only a few days left before my grading then life can get back to being normal busy and not ridiculous busy!!

At the gym this morning I hung out in the ladies section because I was working shoulders and legs and had everything I needed in the upstairs gym and there were only one or two other ladies in there at any given time.

I like the ladies section some days because it is quieter and I don't need to wait for any equipment like I do downstairs and shoulders day is the one day I can do stay upstairs as I don't need the chin up bar etc, anyway I digress!!

What I noticed again today is the obvious lack of an action plan the ladies in the gym had (I do notice this downstairs too so I am not just picking on these ladies)!

I ALWAYS have a training plan on the go. I like to have a training plan based on my current training phase and current goals. Without it I just don't feel as though I am getting anywhere.

I often see ladies (in particular) walking around the gym wandering from equipment to equipment without any sense of purpose or direction other than "I think I'll do that next"!.

I can't stress strongly enough how important it is to have a plan of action when it comes to working out.

Know what your goals are; what phase of your training you are in (ie: base or build etc) and either create a plan or have someone do it for you so you know exactly what it is you have to achieve in your session on any given day.

Chances are if you have a program written for you by the gym it is not going to last you too long or get you any earth shattering results so do your research and get clear about what plan you need and why.

If you need to lose weight then a combination of cardio and resistance sessions - do not think that cardio equals weight loss - you absolutely must do weights but of course you are not going to do the same sort of weights program as a body builder, instead you will be better off with circuits that keep your HR up and burn a bunch of calories. You will include some interval training in your cardio to again get your HR up high and burn a bunch of calories both while you work out and well afterwards as well (as your resistance circuit will do).

If you wish to build muscle bulk then of course your weight training is best to be a split program with more sets and less reps than a weight loss workout and you would reduce the amount of cardio you do while you are in the muscle building phase.

If your goal is a running goal you still need to do weights but again you would focus on circuits that are made up of exercises that will support your running like single leg exercises and full body exercises that strengthen the posture and stabilising muscles. You would do this alongside the running program you are following for your event.

Without a plan it is easy to get lost and to lose motivation for your training.
Knowing that you have a specific training session to nail and that it is working towards something will keep you focused and on track.

If you don't have a plan be sure to go find one - NOW!!

My VIP club has a bunch of training plans and nutrition plans from only $8.95 per week - all of the workouts and meal plans have been tried and tested and yielded fantastic results so if you can't afford a personal trainer or one of my individualised programs this is a really good place to start.

As always would love your comments or questions :)
Michelle

Comments