Why I love my job so much!


Testimonial for Michelle Hext
If you are looking for a realistic program made for a real woman with real life commitments and real challenges, then look no further. Michelle’s program delivers on all fronts.
I signed up with Michelle in 2009 and was diagnosed with breast cancer just 4 days later. All things came to a halt as I went through multiple surgeries, chemo, radiotherapy and the subsequent loss of arm movement and chest pain as my body tried to heal. To avoid ovarian cancer I had my ovaries out which resulted in instant menopause and the associated symptoms, all before the age of 40. I certainly needed my glow back now!  
After my reconstruction, I started walking on the treadmill at 0.8 of a kilometer and I lasted for 2 minutes.  I never thought or expected to get back to my previous level of fitness or health. Slowly, I persisted until I was able to walk for longer and at a faster pace.  Eventually, I knew that I was ready for something more. 
So I called Michelle. When I asked if she was the girl to help me improve my health and fitness she instantly said “You bet, I am here for you”. They are words I will never forget. Michelle was like no other fitness instructor I had come across before. With a genuine care and interest in my health she offered to train me again. Many instructors wouldn’t have touched me with a barge pole considering the current level of my fitness, which demonstrated Michelle’s commitment to helping me regardless of the outcome.  Let’s face it, I wasn’t going to be providing Michelle with a gorgeous, tanned, buff pin up for her next advertisement!  I was still half bald, had gained considerable weight, was taking a large quantity of medications and was as white as a ghost!
Michelle emailed me her program and threw me in the deep end (carefully, of course!) with her running program. I had jogged before, but not quite like this. I checked out her sensible, guided nutritional advice and cleaned up my diet. I filled in the necessary details and statistics and got started.  By the end of my 12 week program I had not only lost weight, I had lost inches, especially around my mid section (that would be the tummy!) and I was able to run for a full hour either on a treadmill or outside without being puffed or getting a stitch. I was not hungry and the exercise was do-able. My insomnia had improved, my mood had improved and I had stopped all my pain medication. The lymphodema (swelling) in my arm was controlled and the pain in my arm and chest were greatly relieved with the regular exercise. I was back at the gym and doing step and combat classes, but mostly, I enjoyed the running. I had exceeded my own expectations having thought I could never run continually for an hour, but I did.  I started running with friends and ran next to my kids as they rode their bikes around the local parks. It was wonderful to be out and about again.
The support offered by Michelle is second to none and this, I feel, is one of the key components of her program that sets her apart from other programs. Anyone can tell you what to eat and how long to exercise for. Most of us already know that half the stuff we put into our mouths shouldn’t be going in there and that we need to get off the couch, but who is going to be there to make you accountable and show an interest in whether you do it or not? Michelle provided me with continual encouragement and was always interested in my progress no matter how small and no matter what direction that progress took. She was prompt with responses to my phone calls and emails, and was always able to offer solutions to any problem in a positive light. 
I can’t thank Michelle enough for her help.  She is an unbelievable woman in every respect and I feel honoured to have encountered her, especially at this time in my life. Michelle feels like a friend, not a PT, and I know that I will remain in contact with her one way or another for years to come (maybe when I pass her on the next 42K marathon? Yes, I am wishing here!). Michelle has helped me to recover from serious illness and to continually seek ways to improve my health and fitness, not just improve my diet and exercise. I will continue to run. I will continue to eat well. I will continue to live my life to the full. Thank you Michelle, for everything, you are beyond AWESOME.
Deb Walton, Bunbury, Western Australia.

Comments