Visalisation Tool

For years sports coaches have successfully used visualisation with their athletes to improve performance, help control pre-event nerves, correct technique and to have injured athletes "train" in their head while they cannot train physically amongst other things.

Numerous studies have been conducted between 2 groups of athletes where one group physically practices a skill or exercise and the other group uses visualisation techniques only - no physical practice. The results show that there is no discernable difference between the athletes who practiced visualisation and the ones who physically practiced. The mind cannot tell the difference between what we visualise and what we physically practice.

I know this to be true because I used the same techniques throughout my taekwondo career. Most evenings before I went to sleep, when I woke up and pre-fight I would close my eyes and visualise the fight how I intended it to go from walking on to the mats and how I would deal with the energy zapping adrenalin that invaded my body just before the ref called start, to feeling how balanced my body was in a spinning kick, to feeling the power of my back kick as it connected, to how I would control my breathing to how I would smile and bow at the judge as he put the gold medal around my neck.

At the end of the visualisation my heart rate was up and my body felt as it if had gone 3 rounds - my reflexes were heightened, I felt energized and calm and in control. It works!

So...what does this mean for you??

Understand the power of visualisation and use it. See yourself living your days in a way that supports you achieving your goals. See yourself in your "after" photo. Give yourself 5 minutes every day to visualise your success and you will reap the benefits.

The exercise below will help you to do just that.

My Perfect Day
1. Relax in a peaceful setting, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.

2. Imagine you have achieved your perfect body. Start from getting up in the morning and imagine everything that you do. Imagine how life is different in this body, what are the things you do now that you didn't before? How are your energy levels? What are you wearing? How did you feel when you went to your wardrobe and knew that anything you chose would be ok?

3. Record what emerges. Write, create a collage, whatever serves you best.

TIP: Suspend your reality and dream about how it could be.

You may also use this template to get you started.

It is o'clock in the....

I am getting ready to.....

Shortly I will.....

And after that I will.....

I'm feeling.......

The thing I am most excited about is.....

And I can't wait to.......

Later I plan to........

I hope you enjoy this exercise and get lots from it.
Michelle X

Comments