Tues 18th March

This weekend just gone I spent at Jen Hendershot's Phat Camp.
Two words describe this experience.
WOW and OUCH!!

I signed up for the camp without any expectation other than knowing we would be physically flogged and I wasn't wrong there :)

Friday night we heard some really lovely stories from Jen and did a boot camp style workout that was nice and tough; I had done taekwondo earlier in the day so by the time we finished up on Friday night I was well and truly spent.

Woke up Saturday morning after a very poor nights sleep sore in all the right places.
The day started with a Q & A session on nutrition which was ok; I would have liked a bit more here as most of the questions being asked were the stuff I deal with day in, day out although it was nice to see much of what I say to my clients reiterated by Jen.

Next we split into 3 groups and rotated so we all did cardio. back and visited the Phat Store.
The cardio session was intense as to be expected, I bought 3 tops from the shop (what's a girl to do??) the back and arms session was fantastic. Lots of supersets and tripple sets with some twists on age old exercises that have me impatient to get back to the gym. The way Jen and her team train weights is really awesome - really high intensity. The tweaks to old exercises come from years and years of throwing weights around and working out how to get the most from each exercise.

At the end of the day we did an outside sprint session and I LOVED it - I thought my legs wouldn't last but I found a second wind for that session - my favorite by far.
We finished off with a wrap up of the day and headed back to the hotel much worse for wear.

Woke up Sunday morning and had to laugh - today was going to hurt; no two ways about it.
My legs were very sore already and today was leg day!
We started off with a cardio session which turned out to be pretty breezy then moved on to a chest workout with Jen which also turned out to be pretty breezy - this did not bode well :)

Legs were torture but heaps of fun and lots of variety plus with 80 other women alongside you going through the same pain made the experience pretty cool.

Jen also put us through a couple of exercises to generate reflection about our lives in general - her whole philosophy is centred around being healthy in all areas of your life and not just physically - very much my own philosophy.

Jen is a wonderful woman; she is very loving and warm and generous; she is also tough as nails and knows how to cut through the crap very quickly. She has integrity and strength of character that I haven't seen in a very long time. I'm really going to miss having her around and I am definitely going next year.

Heather Bear, Leshia Dean and Donna Jones were also great women and make a very inspiring team.

One of the other highlights of the camp was that I got to share it with Darlene. We shared a room at the hotel in Preston close to the camp and partnered for each of the sessions and were able to have some lovely chats in the evening after camp. Darlene did really well and seemed to get as much out of it as I did.
In my latest advert in Women's Health and Fitness Darlene's before and after photo's are featured (much to Darlene's horror). Jen signed the page for Darlene and congratulated her on her efforts and her sincerity was genuine and heartfelt. Darlene should be very proud of herself after such a tough weekend.

I could go on forever but I wont because I want to share some more great news.
EVEN launch their new album in 4 days and in the lead up they have had some fantastic reviews including 4 star reviews in the entertainment guide and the age. They are in this weeks i-tunes newsletter and feature on the i-tunes home page. I have a good feeling they are finally about to achieve the success they so deserve. Go Boys!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks Michelle,
I definitely got a lot out of Phat Camp and it was great to finally work out with you, even though sometimes it was torture!!! Thanks also for the long chats and lunch each day! Can't wait for next year! My legs are not so sore today, I can go up and down stairs without grimmacing in pain!!
I have lots of fond memories from the weekend.
Best wishes, Darlene