Monday 8th Oct 07

Well, it is finally the day after the Melbourne Marathon. Kinda like Christmas when you were a kid where it seems like years to wait until the big day and then it is all over in a heartbeat!
It was a really amazing day from start to finish. We stayed in an apartment in Collins St so I could just walk up in the morning and not worry about driving in and having to fight for a car park etc.
The night before wasn't so great; the place we stayed in was really noisy and we somehow managed to secure the room with encased the elevator! It was on the other side of our bedroom wall! There was also an event going on close by and the Priscilla Queen of the Desert opening across the road so I didn't get much sleep but having had babies that wasn't the problem it would have been once upon a time.
On top of that Cody had a migraine that hit in the middle of the night; he hasn't had one for over a year!
I also realised I forgot my blister pads and all the shops were shut by this time. Every time I have run since I have had my new runners I have had blisters unless I wear these things and they are doozie blisters that come to life after about 3k!
Talk about the power of the mind; I decided that night I was simply NOT going to get blisters, no two ways about it no blisters for me.
The old blisters I had didn't even rub once! How's that!
Anyway I digress.
I woke up nice and early and had a carb bar and some hydration / carb drink, had a shower, put all the usual bells and whistles on: ipod, headphones, hat, sunnies, heart rate monitor watch and chest strap and headed out the door with the kids still sleeping. The plan was for Chris to pack up the room, dress, water and feed the kids and come to the G to watch me finish (they didn't see me!) which he did.
As I began walking up Collins St I began to see other people in running clothes walking towards the G too. The weather was gorgeous, it was warm and the sun was shining.
Got to the G after a 10 minute stroll and the crowd was already pretty big. There was a delay in starting because of some traffic issues and instead of starting at 7.45 we started about 8.10 which was a bit of a concern as it had started to heat up already.
I have never been in an event with so many people, it was amazing. I was really happy to see the way everyone conducted themselves in such a tight squeeze, I could hear "excuse me" and "coming through" as (lots of) people overtook me and others. I thought it may have been a bit of a blood bath but it was really cool.
The course was beautiful. We left Wellington Pd and ran down Flinders St which I won't do again any time soon without being arrested so that was a real buzz. We then headed along St Kilda Rd which was great but I was looking for a change of scene by the end because the first 5k I struggled to get my pace right and my body was tired from lack of sleep. Once we turned into Fitzroy St and headed for Albert Park it got really lovely, Beaconsfield Pde was gorgeous with the sun shining and blue sky and a bit of a welcome breeze. Heading up Fitzroy St was tough going because there was a hill, never noticed it when I've driven along there but you notice it on a run! The stretch back along St Kilda rd was probably felt the longest but with 3 k to go I started up a conversation with another girl beside me and we chatted the last 3k which was great. The last 2k was absolutely fantastic as we ran past Flinders St Station and behind Federation Square with a heap of spectators chearing us on. After we got over William Barrack Bridge (who thought that was a good idea at the end of 21 or even worse 42k needs to re-think that idea) we headed (thankfully) downhill to the bottom of the bridge for a lap around the outside of the G and then the lap inside the G. That last bit felt so easy and I just soaked it all up in that moment; it was such a cool feeling and I even had legs for a sprint finish just for the hell of it.
I wanted to do 2 hours 20 and did it in 2:21:18 so I had to be happy with that after only 8 weeks prep!
I can't wait to do it again next year now with much more distance training in the lead up.
Once I found Chris and the kids we had a cuppa and watched some of the others come in we headed off to get the car.
So that was another 3k of walking to add to the tally!
Then we drove to Riverslide Skate Park so Cody could skateboard for a bit. Once we got him sorted we walked to Southbank for some sandwiches and then walked back and sat in the sunshine for a couple of hours so I could recover and he could skate.
We were just over the road from the tan so I suggested Chris go for a run so he did 2 laps of the tan and Chloe and I lay in the sun and chatted away.
Cody came running over because a pro skater had turned up and the park and he was beside himself. He got his hat signed and was in heaven.
Before we left on Saturday I had ironed school uniforms and cleaned and organised everything for the new term so I knew we didn't have to rush back home so it was a really lovely, relaxed end to the day.
I woke up still feeling a bit tired but my body is in good nick, just a small bit of tightness in my hips and calves so I got the kids off to school and then headed straight to the gym for an hour.
After 3 or more months off the weights with my injury I was in my element.
I'd say I will sleep like a baby tonight!

Comments